Motorola CHARM Now in India with Aircel
After the QUENCH XT3, there was the FLIPOUT and now Motorola brings in the CHARM. The CHARM has a physical QWERTY keypad as well as a touchscreen display but a unique feature of this device is BACKTRACK which makes navigation on its slightly smaller screen fun and intuitive.
The BACKTRACK navigation is a trackpad located on the back of the phone which lets you navigate through the display. It also features a 2.8-inchtouchscreen and a full QWERTY keyboard which makes it a great mid range texting and messaging oriented Android device from the Droid makers. Other features are not very different from a generic Android device. It has all the important Google Apps, Home Screen customization options and a vanilla Android UI.
Just like the Motorola FLIPOUT, MotoBlur seems to be missing from the device and I feel this is a good thing for core Android user but a bad thing for those who are being introduced to the Android operating system. Obviously the phone is targeted to the teenage population of the country but if you guys can do it without a physical QWERTY then I would suggest you opt in for the recently released LG Optimus One which comes with Android 2.2 while the Motorola CHARM runs Android 2.1.
Specifications wise it is not quite different from a mid range Android phone, checkout the press release below for more information. In terms of availability the phone can be purchased through Aircel for 13,990 rupees and has an MRP of 15,990 rupees. With a prepaid Aircel connection you get it with 9GB of data for the first 3 months and 150 free Aircel to Aircel local minutes. With a postpaid connection you get up to 1GB of data per month for the first 6 months.
Motorola Brings a Touch of CHARM™ to India
Smartphone packs three-way navigation, innovative applications, social graces and Aircel offer1 into a pocketable design with Android™ 2.1
NEW DELHI — November 29, 2010 — Motorola Mobility India Private Limited today launched Motorola CHARM™, a touch screen QWERTY smartphone that packs a social networking punch with Android™ 2.1, a compact design and a unique BACKTRACK™ feature that makes screen navigation even more intuitive.
“Motorola strives to excite the Indian consumer with the three-way navigation capability – touch screen, QWERTY keyboard and the BACKTRACK making messaging, browsing, social networking fast and easy.,” said Faisal Siddiqui, country head of India, Motorola Mobility. “CHARM offers a compact design, easy handling and all the features you would expect from a smartphone. Enjoy sophistication and business functionality, effortless navigation with intuitive gestures with the CHARM’s large display and keyboard.”
The BACKTRACK navigation pad, located on the back of the smartphone directly behind the home screen, is similar to a laptop touch panel and enables an unobstructed view of the web, texts, e-mails and news feeds.
Motorola Charm features:
- The Best of QWERTY and TOUCH – a 7.1cm (2.8inch) TFT full touch display with a full QWERTY keyboard, allowing the user to quickly flick, tap and scroll through menus, apps and web pages2&4 and also easily reply to emails, IMs and texts2&4.
- Allows for Personalisation – Seven home screen panels, customizable widgets of live content2&4, live wallpapers2&4; plus there are new toggle widgets with on/off shortcuts to WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth3&4 and more. Some widgets like calendar, photo and sticky note are even resizable.
- Connected Music Player – Truly connected to the internet, it gives the user music interface to browse/play local music and search for songs2&4. Lyrics and album artwork are quickly synchronised2&4 as a song is played. Recommend songs to friends, watch online music videos2&4, listen to internet FM radio stations & identify songs2&4.
- Best of Google™ and the Web – Full HTML browser, 3G/HSDPA, WiFi and Google Maps™, YouTubeTM and Google Search™ and access to thousands of apps on Android Market™, and an Adobe® Flash® enabled web browsing experience to view most of today’s content-rich sites
Additional features include:
- Pinch to zoom functionality and two-finger swipe to easily surf the web and sort through photos
- Bands/Modes: 900/2100 and 850/2100, HSDPA 7.2 Mbps (Category 5/6), EDGE Class 12, GPRS Class 12, HSUPA 2.0 Mbps, eCompass/aGPS, Version 2.0+EDR
- Dimensions: 67.00(x) 67.00(y) 17(z)
- 11.5mm thin with Corning’s robust scratch-resistant Gorilla® glass
- Talk time of up to 357 mins and Standby Time of up to 365 hrs
- Messaging/web/apps: MMS, SMS, Email (Corporate Sync, POP3/IMAP embedded, Push Email) IM, Android HTML WebKit with Adobe Flash Lite 3
- Audio: Internet Radio4, AAC, AAC+, AAC+ Enhanced, AMR NB, MP3, WMA v9
- Video: Capture/Playback/Streaming, H.264, MPEG4, WMV v9
- Camera: Capture sharp photos with 3 megapixel, Digital Zoom and KODAK PERFECT TOUCH technology for better, brighter pictures
- Memory: Expandable up to 32GB, 2GB card included in-box
- Connectivity: 0.35cm (3.5mm), USB 2.0 HS
- Bluetooth: Stereo Bluetooth3&4 Class 2, version 2.1 + EDR
- Location Services: aGPS (assisted) 4
- CrystalTalkTM PLUS for enhanced audio and call quality with a second microphone for increased voice quality while filtering out background noise
- Fast corporate email push to the device for quick inbox updates
Motorola CHARM is available in India in association with Aircel at a Best Buy5 price of Rs 13,990 (MRP: Rs 15,990). With Motorola CHARM you get a 2GB microSD card in-box and you can choose any one Aircel offer1:-
- Get an Aircel Prepaid connection and enjoy upto 9GB download to be consumed in 3 months PLUS 150 Aircel to Aircel local minutes. To activate this offer, please SMS ‘SMART PI’ to 54343 from your Aircel number or,
- Get an Aircel Postpaid connection and enjoy upto 1 GB per month download for 6 months. To activate this offer visit the nearest Aircel Store1.
Motorola is known around the world for innovation in communications and is focused on advancing the way the world connects. From broadband communications infrastructure, enterprise mobility and public safety solutions to mobile and wireline digital communication devices that provide compelling experiences, Motorola is leading the next wave of innovations that enable people, enterprises and governments to be more connected and more mobile. Motorola (NYSE: MOT) had sales of US $22 billion in 2009. For more information, please visit www.motorola.com.