Windows 8.1 August Update: FULL LIST with The Improvements
Windows 8.1 August update, oftenreferred as Windows 8.1 Update 2 was released by Microsoft earlier this week. This update will bring changes and improvements to touchpad and Internet Explorer, as well as a huge amount of other system bug fixes and improvements.
Let’s start with improvements of touchpad. The new update will make touchpad more precise. As Microsoft says, touchpad can now be left on when a mouse is connected. Along with that, right clicks on the touchpad are now possible.
Additionally, double tap and drag features are also more sensible now. You can apply these settings from Mouse and touchpad from PC Settings. Besides touchpad update, Internet Explorer has also been improved. Microsoft’s browser will now block outdated ActiveX controls. Microsoft has also brought a new Wi-Fi Direct APIs for Discoverability that will allow Independent Hardware Vendors or OEMs to make Windows-based applications on all supported versions of Windows 8.1.
Video capture metadata for MP4 has also been added. This feature allows developers to write and read the “Date taken” and GPS data on MP4 files by using Windows Runtime orWin32 APIs. This update will also improve Windows Update settings, which will now give you more information about updates you applied or about those you want to apply.
August Update comes as a monthly update, and it changes the way of delivering updates to users. This update is optional, and you can apply it from Windows Update.
Here is the full log of all bug fixes and improvements applied with this update:
- Update to add pronunciation Pinyin strings when you input Chinese characters in Windows RT 8.1 or Windows 8.1
- Private bytes keep increasing when you encrypt data on SQL Server on Window 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server Essentials integration with Office 365 or Windows Azure Active Directory is blocked
- Applications lose local data when you deploy non-English Windows RT 8.1 or Windows 8.1 by using Configuration Manager
- Task name is deleted after you link a storage report to a scheduled task in Windows
- Too few tiles are displayed during image customization in Windows
- “An extended error occured” when you add a group Managed Service Account in Windows
- Can’t disable security settings in Group Policy Preferences for Internet Explorer 10
- USB device remove and install repeatedly when it is connected to a Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer
- Clicking “Find more” under mobile broadband causes Searching status to freeze in Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1
- USB device appears with a yellow exclamation mark in Windows Device Manager in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
- Wired or Wireless Network GPO setting is not displayed in GPMC report in Windows
- “Failed to fetch servers” when you try to find available IP addresses in IP Address Management in Windows Server 2012 R2
- SystemSettings.exe process crashes when you add a VPN connection on a Windows RT 8.1 or Windows 8.1-based computer
- Connect to incorrect entry point when Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer wakes from sleep or hibernate
- File download freezes and CPU usage high when WFP callout driver is installed in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
- Account picture shifts to right side after you unlock a computer from an application in Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1
- “0x0000009F” Stop error occurs on a Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer
- Touch input does not work in Windows Journal after Windows 8.1 wakes from sleep mode while the program is running
- Playback stops when you open a file that the Xbox Music application is playing in Windows RT 8.1 or Windows 8.1
- Computer does not wake when you disconnect AC power from the Windows 8.1-based or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer
- Update to improve battery life during low-power audio playback in Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1
- Windows Store app still reacts to search text when you delete the text in Search charm in Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1
- “Insert a SIM” text is still shown in VAN UI after you insert a SIM card in Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1
- Browser icons cannot be unpinned from taskbar when you change the default browser in Windows RT 8.1 or Windows 8.1
- Delay in turning on display when you reopen lid of a Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2-based portable computer
- PDF file pages are blank when you open the file by using a Windows Store app in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
- August 2014 OneDrive reliability update for Windows RT 8.1 and Windows 8.1
- Desktop isn’t shown correctly when network icon in notification area is changed repeatedly in 64-bit version of Windows