Windows Phone 8.1 Update ROLLS OUT: How to Install it
It is premature to say that Microsoft has caught up with Apple and Android in the smartphone arena, but what we could say is that it is revving up its engine to one day be on the same track as that of Apple and Android. By releasing the Windows Phone 8.1, Microsoft has bridged many of the gaps that positioned the Windows OS behind iOS and Android.
The new Windows Phone 8.1 update gives greater smartphone functionality, full resolution zooming, a new user interface, a new notification and action center, a new keyboard, Internet Explorer 11, the much talked-about virtual assistant, Cortana, that rivals Apple’s Siri, improved Nokia Camera, Creative Studio and Storyteller and Nokia Device Hub.
The two most awe-inspiring features are the virtual assistant Cortana and Nokia Device Hub. You may know already what a virtual assistant is; the Nokia Device Hub helps users track when and where they last used a Nokia accessory.
The Nokia Device Hub may sound useless but it is actually fascinating as it will tell you what accessories are needed to impart great usability and functionality.
It is worth explaining here that the Windows Phone 8.1 update comes in 2 different types. For Lumia handset owners, the Lumia Cyan update is appropriated and for other Windows handset owners, the normal update is rolled out. Hence, the features that might be available for Lumia devices might not be found in other Windows devices.
About the new update, Microsoft has said the following:
“The Lumia Cyan update will start rolling out around the world today and will be available for all Windows Phone 8 Lumia devices in the coming weeks.”
Our experience tells us that the said ‘coming weeks’ may extend to months before Microsoft handsets’ owners will be able to download the new update. Regardless of the time till you are able to download the new update, here are the steps you have to follow to download the Windows Phone 8.1 update:
1. You need to have abut 1.5 GB of free space available. To check it, go to Settings>storage check, and check your free space.
2. Have at least 80% charge in your battery to obviate the possibility of your cell-phone switching off.
3. When the update is available, you will get a notification, or you can manually check by going to Settings>Phone updates.
4. To download the updates, tap the notification and follow the on-screen instructions. The download will take 20-30 minutes, but if the update is chunky, the download might take up to 2 hours or more.
5. Do not attempt to use your phone while downloading the update.
6. Upon successful download, high-five yourself. You will have got the new Windows Phone 8.1 update.
Read Also: BBM for Windows Phone is FINALLY Here!