Google Nexus 6: How to Install Android 7.1.1 Nougat
The past few months have not been so good for Nexus 6 smartphone owners. Google rolled out March’s security patch to Nexus 6 in order to enhance the device’s security but sadly, things didn’t go as planned. The security patch somehow caused the device to malfunction and to disable the highly important Android Pay function. The worst thing about this is the fact that Google was forced to downgrade Nexus 6 back to Android 7.0 Nougat.
Nexus 6’s operating system downgrade caused controversy in the Android community because the large majority of Nexus 6 owners didn’t know what they were getting into when they downloaded the downgrade. In order to clear things up, Google came out and guaranteed that Nexus 6 owners shouldn’t worry because they will receive Android 7.1.1 Nougat in the upcoming future.
On the bright side, anxious Nexus 6 owners aren’t required to wait for Google because they can always manually flash Android 7.1.1 Nougat on their smartphones. The custom ROM developer team known as CyanogenMod recently uploaded CM 14.1. The aforementioned ROM has been built around Google’s Android 7.1.1 Nougat and it’s compatible with Nexus 6. The OS flashing process can get quite complicated at times and that’s why we will present readers with a step-by-step guide.
Nexus 6 owners first need to download the latest Nexus 6 specific USB drivers on their computers. In addition, USB Debugging needs to be enabled on the designated device. Needless to say, the smartphone needs to be rooted with TRWP recovery. Now download CM 14.1 and the Nexus 6 GApps package.
- Connect the device to the PC via USB;
- Duplicate the previously downloaded files on the device’s memory and unplug it from the PC;
- By simultaneously holding and pressing the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons boot the smartphone into recovery mode;
- Using the same physical keys wipe the device’s memory by performing a full factory reset;
- Wipe the Cache partition and Dalvik Cache as well;
- Select the “Install” option and browse over to where the custom ROM has been downloaded and confirm the installation;
- Repeat the previous steps for the GApps package as well.