Google Nexus 5X How to Root After Google’s Latest Update
Google recently rolled out the final version of Android 7.1.2 N2G47F Nougat and we can be sure that all Nexus 5X owners have updated their smartphone. This is an incremental maintenance update that includes a bunch of tweaks, fixes and enhancements along other features. However, once Nexus 5X has been updated, its root status disappears and the smartphone’s OS is stock once again. Therefore, Nexus 5X users will no longer have access to root exclusive apps and benefits.
Today we will present readers with a guide on how to root their Nexus 5X that runs on Android 7.1.2 N2G47F Nougat but first we need to go over some prerequisites. Readers must know that they need to acquire an unlocked bootloader so that their data doesn’t get wiped off. Therefore we highly advise Nexus 5X users to perform a complete memory backup. The user’s PC needs to have all the latest Nexus 5X USB drivers installed and the smartphone must have USB debugging enabled.
Additionally, we have chosen to use ClockworkMod as the designated custom recovery and SuperSU for rooting. We also need to stress out the fact that we’re not forcing anyone to root their smartphone and that we are not responsible for what happens to the device if the steps aren’t followed accordingly. Nonetheless, download Android SDK alongside Fastboot and install them. After installing the aforementioned tools, download SuperSU v2.79 on the PC as well.
- Connect the smartphone to the PC via USB;
- Duplicate the downloaded files on the smartphone’s SD card and turn off the smartphone;
- Download “twrp-126.96.36.199-bullhead.img” in the “android-sdk-windows\platform-tools” partition that can be found on the PC;
- Boot the smartphone intro Fastboot/Bootloader mode by simultaneously pressing the Volume Down and Power button;
- Browse over to “android-sdk-windows\platform-tools” and start up Command Prompt;
- Type in “fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-0-bullhead.img” and press enter;
- After the process is finished, select the “flash zip from SD card” option and confirm the installation;
- Now browse over to “SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip” and confirm the installation by selecting it;
- All that’s left now is to reboot the smartphone one more time and wait for it to turn on;