Nexus 5 and USB On-The-Go (OTG) – How To Install and Use
USB On-The-Go or USB OTG is a concept that has been launched back in 2001, which allows your mobile device to act as a host for external media such as USB keyboards, game controllers, mouse, pen drive and more. Soon enough, USB OTG has started supporting Android smartphones, which was a great addition to the users of this mobile operating system.
If you are a Nexus 5 owners and if you’ve tried to connect an external drive via OTG cable, then you probably already think that your handset is not supporting USB OTG. Well, this is wrong, because the Nexus 5 supports the USB OTG and in fact it has all the needed modules built into its Kernel.
Unfortunately, the Nexus 5 doesn’t have a native application that should initiate that process. However, don’t worry about this, because Nexus is known as a model that doesn’t come with 3rd party applications.
Now, you probably already asking yourself if your Nexus 5 needs to rooted and the answer is no. And that’s because applications such as Stickmount don’t require root permissions and the process is now simplified thanks to this application.
Using USB OTG on Nexus 5
- First of all, you will need to download the Nexus USB OTG File Manager (free or paid);
- Now, you will need to take your Nexus, the USB OTG cable and Flash Drive;
- Connect the Flash Drive to the Type-A USB side or the broad side;
- Insert the Micro-B connector into the USB port of the Nexus 5 device;
- After the connection has been made, use the app drawer and run the USB OTG File Manager app;
- Once you run the application, you will notice that in the left tab it is the External Drive, which will be connected and the right one is for the internal storage to external drive (or vice-versa);
- Now, you will have to tap on the “Connect” button to start the connection between the drive and your smartphone (keep in mind that the application will mount in Flash/External Drive;
- Now you can start to access it, delete, copy, play or even edit any contact on your device with ease.